Friday, January 8, 2010

Jan 8

From Fjord Heaven to Horsetown USA
Yesterday we passed the test. No truck gets into LA on south I-5 without crossing The Grapevine, which is the stretch of road over what I expect is the coastal range. We slowed to 40mph which matched most of the tractor trailers, and just chugged up. A several cars were off to the side with open hoods and steam clouds. To stay on the safe side of overheating, I turned the heater up with full fan and put my windows down. That helps. A truck whose engine and brakes pass this test can go anywhere.
I am enjoying the pleasant 70 something temperature, sun and soft breeze of Southern California. We are in Norco, which I am told is east of LA,
though I couldn’t say where I might have seen LA stop and anything else begin. I guess you know you are in Norco when you start to see horses everywhere.

We are indeed in Horsetown USA, as the sign announces when you enter Norco. Jennifer Wells invited us to stay at her place. She has a total of six horses, including three Haflingers and two Haflinger mules. I don’t think I had seen a Haflinger mule before - they are strikingly handsome. Jennifer recently drove her Haflinger pair in the Rose Bowl Parade.
We will spend two days here which will include time to go driving with Jennifer on Saturday.
 
 
 
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Pssst Dave....when you start your daily post do you click on "New Post"? If you do, then when it comes up in folks favorite blogs or blogger dashboards, each post comes up individually by day. The way it shows here. every day you click on the blog to read the post you get about a week's worth and not just that one day's post. Does this make sense? Do you care? Ha--just thought I would pass that on in case you were just adding to each post when you write the new one, instead of clicking "New Post" which will give that post it's own page in your blog.

    Carry on...love reading about my favorite Presentation judge.

    ReplyDelete