Wednesday, January 27, 2010

January 27
Today I moved on from Silver City to return to the Dragoon Mountains. In the week I was away I decided these mountains are about my favorite anywhere, and I got the idea to do a circumnavigation, or less nautically, a drive-around. I estimate the distance to be about 50 miles. The drive will give me the chance to be next to these hills for three days and nights, and admire them in all lights. Most of the local advice I got was negative, with lots of reasons why I couldn’t do it. I don’t mean it to sound arrogant, but my experience is that this is the normal precedent of most of what you do in life when you think up something. I decided to see how far I could get with the plan before total defeat. This afternoon I drove my truck over half the route, till I ran out of daylight. So far the road surfaces look adequate, and - critically important - each cattle guard has a gate beside it. Best of all in the course of my exploration I met a succession of delightful people, who have responded with enthusiasm. I have located a first night’s accommodation for the horses, at just the right place and distance. Stopping to ask some local trail information I met Eve, the owner of the Grapevine Ranch, a guest ranch, and learned that she had ridden the same route I had in mind. She invited us to stop in for lunch when I come by with horses.

The mountain views along my way would have been reward enough today. It is nature's masterpiece in rock! Pictures to follow.

I hadn’t intended to write about this venture until it was a sure thing, but this process of putting it together feels worth telling. So far the obstacles are tumbling like dominoes. The kindness and interest of the people I am meeting makes me feel welcomed to these hills. There is still lots to do, lots of details to be solved, but I am encouraged. I'm back on the road again in the truck tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment